Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving was wonderful

We have had a wonderful, full, fun, enjoyable week with the whole family. Beautiful 75 degree days. They wore shorts and flip flops, Andrew played basketball at the park almost daily, catching up with friends, getting together with cousins, black Friday shopping, hitting favorite food places, laughing, brothers playing video games together,watching movies, cooking and praying together. All three big kids came home- Nicole, Lauren and Andrew.
They have all grown and matured and are all doing well on their own. I know that this has been the goal to get them off and on their own, stable and secure. It seems so fast though. I've become a friend more so than a mom. Meaning they tell me what they choose to and my influence is not as great. That's how its suppose to be. I know that my voice will be in their head. "This is how mom thinks about this" and "what she would say about it" after years of teaching and mothering. Free agency is theirs.
I know, I'll always be their mom but the control is no longer there. Which is good. They should be in control of their own lives and make their own decisions. I've always wanted them to be responsible. Now I get to see what they become. It's actually kind of fun to watch. I might be having a breakthrough .... maybe I really will be able to handle my new role as a mother to college students. We were so busy that I hardly took pictures... Seriously, these were the last day.

We got smoking deals on a couple laptops. Much love and appreciation to "you know who". Lauren setting hers up.

The boys playing Mario land. This is typical of their relationship. Andrew would do anything for him. He played that game over and over again. In the first picture Andrew didn't smile (no surprise- he doesn't like taking pictures) But Tyler told him that he needed to and he'll do anything for his brother so...the second picture. A smile.


Nicole brought along her room mate Hailey and Ty, her brother. They stayed with us when they weren't visiting family. They're from Arkansas. Very nice kids!

Nicole eating cereal before packing up and leaving for school. Her official traveling clothes- comfy sweats.

7 comments:

Joy For Your Journey said...

What a wonderful weekend you had!! I am so happy for you. And don't worry about your new roll. What you will also find is that they suddenly think you are much smarter and they actually listen to what you say. My oldest daughter didn't think I knew anything when she was a teenager and now she calls me every day for my advice on something. And I even call her for advice too!

Joy For Your Journey said...

Oh, make that "role". Sorry about that. :-)

Ann Marie said...

I love that you had such a good weekend.. that there wasn't much time for pictures! That's great!

YAY for holidays!!

CB said...

Looks like you had a really fun weekend with all of your kids!
And it IS funny how there is kind of a transition when they take over their own lives so to speak - but it is good, and you can see your influence in their choices - Love that!
Beautiful family!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful family! I love your thoughts about how you influence them less, but I think you may be surprised. I think the influence is forever.

Looks like it was a great weekend for you. Especially the being in flip-flops part. Can't imagine that one. We're freezing here~!

Momza said...

Changing Roles is the theme of my life latey too...you do it very graciously!

Hope your kids got back to school with full tummies and warm hearts!

Pedaling said...

oooo
pretty new page.
sounds like a wonderful thanksgiving weekend!
and yes, i would love love love
getting together with you next time i'm in town!!