Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I finally found it

I have been searching for a recipe that has been requested for our Thanksgiving dinner. I turned to allrecipes.com to find it since I couldn't find my recipe but then I couldn't find the most important ingredient anywhere. Finally, I found it at Albertsons. Hooray! Here is the recipe:

Frog Eye Salad
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice (I use the juice from the drained cans)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 quarts water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 (16 ounce) package acini di pepe pasta
3 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, drained
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 cup miniature marshmallows

1. In a sauce pan, combine sugar, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pineapple juice and eggs. Stir and cook over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat; add lemon juice and cool to room temperature.
2. Bring water to a boil, add oil, remaining salt and cook pasta until al dente. Rinse under cold water and drain.
3. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, egg mixture, mandarin oranges, pineapple and whipped topping. Mix well and refrigerate overnight or until chilled. Before serving add marshmallows. Toss and serve.
Serves 12

3 comments:

Teresa said...

NO WAY! Steve's been begging me to make this for Thanksgiving too...so I'm using the recipe from the old Brighton Ward Cookbook....this one looks similar. Too funny. Oh, and I had to go to 3 different grocery stores to find the pasta --- and there it was at Fry's, right under my nose. I know, I should have checked there first.

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

Aaaaah, it was at Fry's!